• US Racing

Takuma Sato rules out Formula One comeback

ESPN Staff
May 16, 2013 « Button looking forward to working with Honda again | McLaren-Honda deal not exclusive »
Former F1 driver Takuma Sato has committed his future to IndyCar © Getty Images
Enlarge

Takuma Sato has ruled out a return to Formula One despite early-season successes in IndyCar. He last competed in F1 in 2008 before the rug was pulled from under him when the Super Aguri team ran out of cash midway through the year.

"Formula One isn't the only racing," he told NBC. "I had a great opportunity to come here with Jimmy [Vasser] and since then, my focus is 100% in Indy. My first focus is to win races here, win the 500 and win the Championship."

Referring the demise of Super Aguri he said: "It was a really sad moment for everyone, for the sport and for the team and for the members, but it was an unfinished job in F1 for me. So I tried to come back in F1 for nearly two seasons.

"I had a huge opportunity with the Toro Rosso team, but unfortunately at the end of the day for some reason that didn't happen. That was a really shocking moment.

"Then after that, as well, I had a little opportunity but it just didn't happen."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close