• Renault news

Renault to give Kubica more time

ESPNF1 Staff
October 3, 2011 « Red Bull carries out New Delhi run | Japan title would be 'fitting' - Brawn »
Gerard Lopez is willing to wait until November for a decision on Robert Kubica's future © Getty Images
Enlarge

Renault team owner Gerard Lopez says the team will give Robert Kubica time to prove his fitness for 2012.

Team principal Eric Boullier gave Kubica an October deadline to confirm if he would be able to return to Formula One next season following his rally accident. With Kubica yet to drive a car, his manager said Kubica would definitely be able to return, but that he would need a few weeks longer to prove it. Lopez now says that time will be afforded, and that the team will discuss its drivers in early November.

"If Robert is on the market then of course we will take him," Lopez told Auto Motor und Sport. "Our commercial model requires success on the tracks. Also we paid Robert's salary this year, although he drove no races with us.

"We will look at the matter at the beginning of November. Robert will have a car to show us what he can do. The data analysis is now so good that you can see with another car whether he is physically able to return."

Lopez also said that Genii is not running the team solely as a business, and denied reports that it had been late making engine payments to Renault Sport F1.

"We have paid every bill on time … We have increased the team from 480 to 520 employees, we have expanded the wind tunnel from 50 to 60 per cent and are about to install a new simulator. These are not things you do if you only have the business in mind."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 4 
ESPN Staff Close