• Red Bull news

Webber signs new Red Bull deal

ESPN Staff
July 10, 2012 « Struggling McLaren holds crisis meeting | Gillan defends Maldonado's driving »

Mark Webber has signed a new contract with Red Bull for 2013, ending speculation he will move to Ferrari.

Off the back of winning the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, Webber has committed to a seventh year with the team. He had been linked with a move to Ferrari to replace Felipe Massa, but having closed the gap to championship leader Fernando Alonso with Sunday's victory Webber said that he feels comfortable with Red Bull.

"I've been with Red Bull Racing since 2007 and have achieved nine grand prix wins during that time," Webber said. "I'm high on confidence at the moment and firing on all cylinders. I know the Team well and I'm very comfortable here; we have grown together over the years and it feels like absolutely the right thing to stay with Red Bull for another season.

"The Team is constantly working hard to improve in all areas and we've shown that together we can win races. It's great to be able to make this announcement off the back of the win in Silverstone at the weekend and I'm looking forward to competing on the edge and pushing myself in every race again next season."

Webber did admit, however, that there had been some foundation to the Ferrari rumours: "There were discussions with Ferrari, but my decision was to stay here."

Team principal Christian Horner insisted at Silverstone that the team wanted to stick with its current driver line-up, and he said that Webber's success in 2012 so far made it an easy decision to extend his contract.

"Mark has driven very well in the first nine races of this season and his performance has been impressive," Horner said. "Much of his Formula One success has been during his time with Red Bull Racing and together we have achieved 10 poles, nine wins and 31 podiums. As there was a strong desire from both sides to continue the partnership, it was a logical decision to extend our relationship and it is with great pleasure that we confirm Mark will drive for us in 2013."

The new deal means that Red Bull's driver line-up of Webber and Sebastian Vettel will remain unchanged for a fifth consecutive season.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 14 
ESPN Staff Close