• F1 Ownership

Marko plays down breakaway threat

ESPNF1 Staff
May 16, 2011 « Williams readies Barcelona upgrades | »
Helmut Marko is confident that "A suitable compromise can hopefully be found" © Red Bull Racing
Enlarge
Related Links

Red Bull motor racing consultant Helmut Marko has played down Luca di Montezemolo's threat that Formula One teams could form a breakaway series.

Di Montezemolo told CNN last week that F1's current owners CVC would have no control over the teams at the end of the current Concorde Agreement in 2012, and that the teams could then form their own series. He also said that finding a new owner was a possibility, with Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation having registered an interest in buying the sport.

Marko, however, said that the situation was not that serious, and that the teams would be looking to successfully negotiate a new agreement for the future.

"A suitable compromise can hopefully be found," he told German website motorsport-magazin.com. "Ferrari are the best-known team and have been in F1 the longest - but being Italian, they tend to express things more emotionally than others. In my opinion, the situation is nowhere near as bad as it looks."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 3 
ESPN Staff Close