• McLaren

McLaren still to make Perez decision

ESPN Staff
October 31, 2013 « Sauber rates me - Gutierrez | Future in my hands - Maldonado »
© Getty Images
Enlarge

McLaren's sporting director Sam Michael admits the team has yet to take a decision on Sergio Perez's future.

Perez impressed with a fifth place in India, but any deal for 2014 has yet to be announced with Martin Whitmarsh previously saying the team is in no rush to finalise its line-up, although he expects to continue with both Perez and Jenson Button. However, speaking during a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes phone-in from Abu Dhabi, Michael said Perez's future was not yet decided.

"In terms of Checo specifically he's pushing very hard at the moment, he's staying focused, he's driving well, working well with the engineers and ultimately that's what we expect him to do," Michael said. "In terms of contracts going forward we're not in a position to announce anything yet and as soon as we are then obviously all of our staff and all of you guys will know as soon as possible because there wouldn't be any reason to not do that. So we haven't come to that decision yet, and when we do then you guys will be the first to know along with our staff."

However, Michael was keen to stress that McLaren hasn't had any major gripes with either driver throughout this season.

"It's what we see from our drivers all year; that they've got the potential to perform. I think one thing I should say is that both drivers have done a fantastic job supporting the team, especially during the first third of the year where we had some particularly difficult qualifying and race sessions.

"They both kept their heads up and pushed the team along through driver performance to a point where we can try and consistently get both cars in the top ten and get our positions back in the constructors, at least up to fifth place. It's not where we need to be but it's going in the right direction."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close