- Lotus news
Lotus confirms Raikkonen will stay in 2013
Kimi Raikkonen will remain at Lotus in 2013, the team has confirmed.
With all the top seats taken in Formula One next year, Raikkonen looked set to remain at Lotus and the team confirmed the news via a YouTube video on Monday. The Finn made his return to Formula One with Lotus at the start of this season and is currently third in the drivers' championship on 173 points after scoring six podium.
When he first signed in November 2011 after two year's out of the sport, Lotus said he was on a two-year contract, but he was only confirmed for 2013 on Monday.
"I think my return to Formula One has gone pretty well and the team has done a very good job all year so far," Raikkonen said. "To be honest, I didn't expect to be fighting for the drivers' championship this season when you look at where the team was in 2011, so it has been great to be on the podium so many times and to score points on a regular basis.
"I feel very comfortable with Lotus F1 Team and we share the same philosophy of racing. Continuing with the team was an obvious choice for me and I'm looking forward to making another step forward together next year."
Team principal Eric Boullier added: "Kimi has made an exceptional comeback to Formula One. From the first time he sat in the car this year it was clear he had lost none of his pace or technical feedback and we have been rewarded by a focused and motivated driver all season. For Lotus F1 Team to be fighting for such strong championship positions this year is in no small part attributed to Kimi's talent and experience of racing. It was a natural conclusion for us to confirm that we will be harnessing his abilities for next season."
Raikkonen's team-mate Romain Grosjean has not yet been named alongside him for next season.