- Circuit news
Silverstone gains planning approval for 'masterplan'
- Silverstone Circuit
Silverstone's plans to expand its circuit facilities over the next 20 years have been approved by its local councils.
The 'masterplan' will see three hotels built at the circuit, new business and technology parks and improved spectator facilities. Both Aylesbury Vale District Council and South Northamptonshire Council have approved Silverstone's outline planning application, which the circuit believes will "secure the long-term future of the international venue".
"We are delighted with the outcome and approval of this planning application - this is the most important initiative that Silverstone has taken in its 60-year history as the Home of British Motor Racing," managing director Richard Phillips said. "This planning will help maintain Silverstone's position as a leading global centre for sport, leisure, education and technology and retain its position as a world-leading motor sport destination. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank both Aylesbury Vale and South Northamptonshire Councils, for the way in which the two planning authorities have worked together on this application."
The 'masterplan' will include the following features:
- Business park (maximum 122,519 sqm; use classes B1, B2 and B8)
- Technology park (maximum 62,662 sqm, use classes B1, B2 and B8)
- Education campus (maximum 34,658 sqm; use classes D1 and C2)
- Three hotels (maximum 39,847 sqm; use class C1)
- Ancillary retail and spectator facilities, including 'Welcome Centre' and 'Museum of Motor sport' (maximum 61,964 sqm; use class D2), with promotional and experiential automotive display space (maximum 18,600 sqm)
- Improved leisure and event spaces, including a kart track and outdoor stage (maximum 65,075 sqm; use class D2)
- Other ancillary development, including landscape works, grandstands, hardstanding and support paddock, bridge and tunnel to improve pedestrian flows, a new point of access, supporting infrastructure and demolition
© ESPN EMEA Ltd.
Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk