• Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Leaving Force India wasn't easy - Hulkenberg

ESPN Staff
November 1, 2012 « Vettel wary of reliability issues | Lotus can still win this season - Raikkonen »
Nico Hulkenberg: "Sauber has made a good development over the last couple of years" © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Related Links

Nico Hulkenberg has admitted his decision to switch from Force India to Sauber was not easy with the teams so closely matched over recent races.

Earlier this week Sauber confirmed Hulkenberg would drive its cars in 2013, a move that many have seen as a sideways step with just one place splitting the two teams in the constructors' championship. Hulkenberg had an offer from Force India, which has outperformed Sauber at three of the last four races, but said he had been impressed by Sauber's four podiums this year.

"It wasn't an easy decision, first of all," Hulkenberg said. "Sauber has made a good development over the last couple of years and especially this year they have been very strong for podiums and missed a win by a very narrow margin. But obviously I wouldn't have made the decision if I thought it wasn't the right one."

Hulkenberg's one-year contract with Sauber in 2013 has led to speculation that he is being lined up for a Ferrari drive in 2014, but he denied that was the case. He revealed that there had been "talks and some contact" with Ferrari but said he did not come close to joining the Italian team this year.

Hulkenberg has scored 18 points at the last three races and is confident he can continue to do well until the end of the season.

"I don't see a reason why it shoudn't carry on," he said. "This track [in Abu Dhabi] is more low-speed and is more similar to Singapore and in Singapore we looked quite competitive. I think we can have three very good races until the end of the year and I think we can challenge for points."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 1 

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close