• Force India news

Force India in no rush to name second driver

ESPN Staff
February 20, 2013 « Live Barcelona testing | 'Proper testing' difficult - Hulkenberg »
Adrian Sutil arrived at the circuit on Wednesday ahead of his test on Thursday © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Related Links

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley says his team's management will start to consider its options for its second driver over the weekend, but said there was not a looming deadline for a decision.

Adrian Sutil and Jules Bianchi are both in the running to be Paul di Resta's team-mate and will both drive the car over the next two days of the test in Barcelona. However, Fernley said there would not be a driver decision this week and that the data gathered over the next two days would be sent to the board to consider over the weekend.

"The one thing I can definitely guarantee you is that we'll have two drivers by Melbourne!" he joked in an interview with Sky Sports News.

Asked if there could be a decision next week, he added: "It would be good, but we're giving everyone the amount of mileage they need. We'll try and get all the information we've been collecting over to the shareholders this weekend and then it's their decision.

"We want to make sure that it's an even playing field for everybody and that, more importantly, they [Sutil and Bianchi] have got the opportunity to get used to the car. Obviously one of them will come through and we don't want to disadvantage them in any way."

And he does not think Sutil's year away from the sport will put the ex-Force India driver at a disadvantage.

"We've got huge amounts of data on Adrian and he was in the simulator last week. Yes, he will be a little rusty but it doesn't really matter, because what matters is to get some miles under his belt."

Di Resta, who has been in the car for the last two days as the team's only confirmed race driver said he was not worried about the delay in finding out who he will be going up against this season.

"It's not my decision and it's not something I'm thinking about. I know them both very well and they are both good people. Adrian was part of the team for a very long time and Jules was part of the team last year. The board members will make their decision based on who they want in the car. It's not affecting me in any way, shape or form. I'm working with my team of guys and the same people that I've worked with over the years and we are developing this car to get the most out of it."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close