- Mugello test
Petrov raises Mugello safety concerns
Despite most F1 drivers praising Mugello during this week's in-season test at the Tuscan circuit, Caterham driver Vitaly Petrov has raised concerns about the safety of the venue.
Cars have been averaging speeds of 140mph and higher around the 3.3 mile circuit this week, which has, on the whole, received praise from the drivers. "Out of 1 to 10, I'd give it 8.5," Nico Rosberg said on Tuesday, while Mark Webber tweeted: "Ten laps around Mugello is the same as doing 1000 laps around Abu Dhabi in terms of satisfaction."
But Petrov believes there is the potential for a big accident.
"I don't think we should have come here," he was quoted by Autosport. "It is not safe and wide enough. If you lose it, the walls are so close and you will smash into the tyres. It is not for Formula One and, if you lost the steering or the tyre pressure dropped or whatever, then it will be a big crash."
Earlier this week circuit director Paolo Poli was asked about speculation that Mugello might soon bid for a spot on the Formula One race calendar.
"We are working to improve the track, to test the ability of the infrastructure and our potential to be able to think about something more," he told Mattina Sport. "The path is long, but we do not want to miss the opportunity."
© ESPN EMEA Ltd.
Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk