• News

No pay, no drive laments de la Rosa

ESPNF1 Staff
November 23, 2010 « Organisers look to offload European Grand Prix | »
Pedro de la Rosa: 'If I had money I would 100% be able to be racing' © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Related Links

Pedro de la Rosa, who was dropped by Sauber after the Italian Grand Prix in September, has admitted his attempts to secure a race seat in 2011 are foundering because he cannot bring a big sponsor with him to a new team.

"What I know for sure is that if I had money I would 100% be able to be racing," he told Autosport "It's always been like that, but I would say next year is one of the worst I've ever seen in terms of how the teams are selling their race drives. But we will see, it's still early days and I'm not in a rush. Whatever I do, I want to do it properly. I don't want to be rushed into anything."

His comments come a day after Macau Grand Prix winner Edoardo Mortara said his F1 ambitions were being baulked by the lack of a major sponsor.

"At the moment, to be honest, I have no idea what I will do next year," de la Rosa said. "I'm talking to everyone that might have a seat available. But the question really is that it will always be my decision where I can go. I'm not sure at this point what will be best for my future. It very much depends on what is the project behind each team."

Although de la Rosa had been linked with HRT - "if it's interesting, I will go for it. Or if it's not, or I perceive it as not being, I will not waste my time" - team owner Jose Ramon Carabante said he would have to bring €8 to €10 million to the table to get a look in. "Pedro wants to come, but it depends very much on the support," Carabante said. "Without money, there is no place for him. We can't allow ourselves a luxury like that."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close