- Mercedes news
Brawn says his future wasn't under threat
- Ross Brawn
Ross Brawn says his position as Mercedes team principal was not discussed during the tyre test scandal and that he had the full support of the team's board.
Brawn appeared in front of the FIA's International Tribunal on Thursday to help defend Mercedes after admitting at the Canadian Grand Prix that it had been his decision alone to help Pirelli out. As one part of a triumvirate of power at Mercedes, alongside Niki Lauda and Toto Wolff, Brawn's position at the team has been questioned this year, but he told Sky Sport's F1 Show that, as things panned out this week, his future at the team had not been discussed.
"To be honest it's never been discussed, so the situation hasn't changed," he told Sky Sports. "You never know what might happen if the outcome of the tribunal had been different and I'm an employee and member of the team, so things can change.
"But the board have been very supportive in this matter. For them it was also very important that the issue of good faith was established and they've been very supportive and been aware of all the facts behind what has happened. I couldn't have asked for more support from them."
Mercedes was reprimanded by the International Tribunal and will be forced to skip the Young Driver Test later this month after being found guilty of breaking in the rules but also being found to be acting in good faith. Brawn said it was not a lenient penalty and that missing the test would be costly for the car's development.
"I think the young driver test is a penalty, any perception that it's not significant is not correct," Brawn added. "We had quite a comprehensive programme planned for the young driver test so it will be a blow to the team and things that we were hoping to try or develop with the young drivers we will lose."
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk