• Caterham news

Kovalainen coy on 2013 seat

ESPN Staff
August 10, 2012 « Whitmarsh won't stand for FOTA re-election | Button unwilling to write off title chances »
Heikki Kovalainen last scored points in 2009 when he finished seventh in Singapore © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Related Links

Heikki Kovalainen remains coy over where he will drive in 2013, saying he is unsure of Caterham's plans and refusing to rule out any other teams.

Although Caterham has yet to join the midfield battle to start challenging for points, Kovalainen's performances over the last 18 months have been highly impressive. That has lead to him being linked with a number of drives - with Sauber the most recent - for next season but he told Motorsport-Total that there is no concrete news about his future.

"It's rumours and that's all I can say," Kovalainen said. "[Sauber] seems to be very strong this year, but that's all I can say. My focus is on maximising my performance here at Caterham and giving my best to the team. That puts me in the best possible position in the market if I want to move teams. I don't even know what Caterham's plans are - maybe they don't want me anymore...."

The slight possibility that Lewis Hamilton may not sign a new deal at McLaren could see a seat become vacant there, and despite a disappointing two-year spell with the team Kovalainen said he'd have "no problem" going back.

"For me, being at McLaren was a dream come true. They are a great team, a top team - no question. I know exactly what happened at that time, and what would happen if I got the chance in the future. I would have no problem [rejoining McLaren]. They are a great team and I am still in touch with lots of McLaren guys, I have a very good relationship with Martin Whitmarsh. At the time, everything just did not fit together, but there were reasons. Since then, a lot has changed...."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 9 

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close