• Canadian Grand Prix

Ecclestone happy with return to Canada

ESPNF1 Staff
June 12, 2010 « Coulthard honoured with MBE | »

In a rare moment of regret, Bernie Ecclestone admitted Formula One should not have left the Canadian Grand Prix off the calendar in 2009.

The event was axed after he failed to agree terms with then promoter Normand Legault. But a new deal with new promoter Francois Dumontier meant Canada returned, and Ecclestone admitted he was happy.

"It is wonderful to be back in Montreal, and to be honest, we shouldn't have left in the first place," he said. "We felt sorry [to leave], but at the end of the day, as an organiser, you have to pay the price," added Mercedes' Norbert Haug.

Dumontier said that he was expecting 300,000 spectators to attend over the three days. He was delighted to announce all tickets for Saturday and Sunday had been sold, and those now attempting to attend this year's event were advised to book a seat for 2011.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close