• USA news

Confused Ecclestone casts doubt on New Jersey for 2013

ESPN Staff
June 26, 2012 « Horner confident updated RB8 will be quick in most conditions | McLaren expects development race to step up a gear »
Sebastian Vettel poses in front of the Manhattan skyline during a PR event earlier this month © Associated Press
Enlarge

Bernie Ecclestone appeared confused when asked whether the planned grand prix in New Jersey could happen next season, contradicting himself in an interview with the BBC.

Last week there were bullish comments from track president Tom Cotter who claimed building work was ahead of schedule. But speaking to the BBC, Ecclestone was asked if the race would take place in 2013 and replied: "No …definitely, no."

However, he continued: "I need to go and have another look. What I've seen up to now, and what's been going on, I'm not quite as sure as they are. If they can get it completed and confirm to us it will be done, for sure, they'll be on the calendar."

Immediately after the Canadian Grand Prix earlier in the month Sebastian Vettel staged a high-profile PR event in New Jersey where he expressed his own reservations. "The circuit is not anywhere near close to being ready, but as I said, it would be great."

David Coulthard, who accompanied Vettel, said: "They think they're ahead of schedule. They're talking about 12 months from now, but it's a lot of work … the road is so bowed in the middle."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 3 

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close