• Toro Rosso news

Buemi 'shocked' to lose Toro Rosso drive

ESPNF1 Staff
December 16, 2011 « STR a 'rookie training school' - Tost | GP2 to race in Malaysia and Singapore in 2012 »
Sebastien Buemi could face a season on the sidelines © Sutton Images
Enlarge

Sebastien Buemi was "shocked" when he learned he would not be driving for Toro Rosso next season.

Buemi, who has driven for the team since the start of 2009, found out he had lost his seat earlier this week when Toro Rosso announced Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne would drive for the team in 2012. Le Matin newspaper said Buemi missed the mobile phone calls from team bosses Franz Tost and Helmut Marko earlier this week because he was driving the Barcelona track in the Red Bull simulator and visiting Toro Rosso's UK wind tunnel.

"I was shocked," he said. "I had been told a decision would be made before the end of the year, but I was under the impression that my contract would be extended. I was not expecting it at all."

He told Blick newspaper: "I have to accept it even if it is very hard to understand."

Buemi is keen to find a race seat for 2012, but with places on the gird in short supply he admitted he might have to settle for a reserve driver role.

"Maybe there are options, but it's still too early to say anything," he added. "Fortunately in the past years I have built up many contacts with most of the teams. So this pays off now."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 5 

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close