• Toro Rosso news

Retaining drivers was 'logical' - Tost

ESPNF1 Staff
July 28, 2010 « Chandhok hoping for Spa return | »
Franz Tost is happy with Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari © Sutton Images
Enlarge

It would not have been "logical" to change Toro Rosso's driver line-up for 2011, according to team boss Franz Tost.

It had been rumoured that either Sebastien Buemi or Jaime Alguersuari would be replaced by Red Bull's next rising youngster Daniel Ricciardo next season. The Australian is Red Bull's highly-rated reserve driver this year, but Tost admits he was not at the top of his list for 2011.

"We always intended to keep our two current drivers, based on their current form: it was always part of the plan, as they come from the Red Bull young driver programme and doing anything else would not be logical," he said. "Both of them, Jaime in particular, are still lacking much Formula One experience and therefore, in order to get a true picture of their abilities, it is normal that we should continue with them. I also expect them to improve their performance in the second half of the season."

Buemi said that he was hoping to make the jump to the senior Red Bull team as soon as possible but acknowledged that his performances at the start of the season were not up to scratch.

"I have a contract with Red Bull, and Red Bull let me drive at Toro Rosso," he said. "If I do well here then hopefully one day I will jump into the 'big' team. Obviously I want to make that jump as soon as possible, this is pretty clear, but they are having a fantastic season and I was having a lot of bad luck at the beginning of the year when they took the decision to retain Mark (Webber). However, I am very optimistic that Toro Rosso will improve next year."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close