• Sauber news

Perez released from hospital

ESPNF1 Staff
May 30, 2011 « December calendar extension 'too much' - Brawn | »
Qualifying was postponed while medics removed Sergio Perez from his car © Sutton Images
Enlarge

Sergio Perez has been released from hospital two days after his heavy crash during qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix.

Perez had been kept in the Princess Grace hospital overnight on Saturday suffering from concussion after he lost control of his car exiting the tunnel and slammed in to the barriers at the Nouvelle Chicane. Following tests on Sunday it was decided that doctors wanted to keep him in for another night for observation. Perez then underwent a further brain scan this morning before being released this afternoon.

"Just left hospital, thanks to all of you for your messages," Perez wrote on his Twitter account.

Having missed the race in Monaco it is expected that Perez will be fit to take part in the Canadian Grand Prix in two weeks time, although he will have to be assessed by an FIA doctor before he will be cleared to do so.

"I'm pretty sure I will be driving in Montréal," he said in a press release, adding he would do "everything to make sure I can drive in Canada".

Perez admitted he still had a few aches and pains but nothing out of the ordinary.

"I feel okay," he said in a press release. "I have little bit of pain in my leg and in my neck, but this comes from muscles and is nothing to worry about. On Sunday I still felt a bit dizzy but that is all. Thank God I'm healthy and I'm looking forward to being back in the car soon. They treated me very well in the hospital. I want to thank the staff for this, and also want to thank everyone else who was worrying about me - the people from the team who came to see me and other visitors as well. My family has also been with me.

"I want to say thank you for all the messages I received. I'm very grateful for all the support and feel sorry for not having replied to all of the messages. There were so many and my phone very quickly ran out of battery."

As for the accident, Perez admitted that a mistake under braking was the most likely cause.

"I remember how I started Q3 and I also remember some of the accident," he said. "For the time being I am missing some memories about what happened after the first impact and the rescue procedures. I don't really know what caused the accident. My race engineer told me there was no problem with the car. I can only guess that I might have been a bit offline or braked on a bump."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 2 

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close