• Sauber news

Telmex not looking to buy Sauber - Perez

ESPNF1 Staff
October 27, 2010 « Berger thinks Webber tried to wipe out rivals after crash | »
Sergio Perez will line-up alongside Kamui Kobayashi at Sauber next year © Sauber
Enlarge
Related Links

Sergio Perez has denied his major sponsor Telmex is positioning to buy control of the Sauber team.

The Mexican telecommunications business will sponsor Sauber next year, and its figurehead Carlos Slim - the richest man in the world - has been seen at several grands prix recently. But boss Peter Sauber earlier this month denied he is considering selling his team, and Slim said the deal is a "commercial alliance" rather than a precursor to a greater involvement.

But when told that the rumours about Telmex buying Sauber still exist, rookie driver Perez told AS: "No, that's not true. Telmex is entering as a sponsor and nothing more."

Sauber has also signed the Mexican, and Telmex supported, Esteban Gutierrez as its driver, but Perez said he is there with his fellow countryman on merit.

"Esteban and I are here because Sauber decided to sign us," Perez, 20, insisted.

He also backed Fernando Alonso to win the 2010 world championship.

"He doesn't have as good a car as the Red Bull drivers, but he is the best driver," said Perez.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close