• Red Bull news

'I will take the title,' vows Vettel

ESPNF1 Staff
September 3, 2010 « Gascoyne looking forward to Monza | »
Sebastian Vettel says he has learned from his mistakes © Getty Images
Enlarge

Sebastian Vettel insists he remains on track to win the 2010 drivers' title despite his latest setback in Spa Francorchamps.

Vettel crashed into Jenson Button and suffered a puncture before finishing out of the points in the Belgian Grand Prix. It means Vettel is now third in the drivers' standings, 31 points behind Lewis Hamilton.

"I know how good we are - I will take the title," a confident Vettel told Auto Bild Motorsport. "Someone who has the most pole positions must think that way. These 13 races have not run completely smoothly, but I'm only 31 points behind. Assuming we maintain our speed, we can catch up quickly."

Vettel's mistake in the Belgian Grand Prix was the latest of many in a season punctuated by impetuous moves. But the young German says he will learn from his mistakes and come back a stronger driver.

"In the end, it makes you a better driver. But I'm also someone who can put things in the past and look ahead when the next morning comes."

Meanwhile, Jenson Button, who fell victim to Vettel's move in Belgium, is also confident he can still win the title.

"I was very dejected after the race and was very down, but in reality 35 points is not that much. If you look in the old money of last year's points system, it equates to 14 points - which is not a lot of points," Button told talkSPORT radio. "It is a win and a fifth place, so it is all still to play for and, as it heats up in the last six races, there is going to be a lot more action. It will be about staying out of trouble and every race I go to I have to be fighting for victory."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close