• Monaco Grand Prix - Qualifying

Rosberg calls for changes to barrier

ESPNF1 Staff
May 28, 2011 « Perez hospitalised after serious crash | »
Nico Rosberg was lucky that his own accident wasn't more serious © Sutton Images
Enlarge

Nico Rosberg has called for alterations to be made to the barrier where Sergio Perez had an accident in qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix

Perez crashed in to the barrier at the Nouvelle Chicane after losing control of his car under braking coming out of the tunnel, and was taken to hospital with concussion. Rosberg had a similar accident in FP3, but was fortunate that his car just went to the left of the barrier after being launched off some kerbs. Rosberg said that he was lucky his accident had not been more serious, but that there had been enough incidents to warrant changes to both the barrier and the bump in the braking zone.

"I was very fortunate this morning that I completely missed that barrier," Rosberg said. "That barrier has been there for a long time and a lot of things have happened there. Maybe it's time to reconsider because it should be pretty easy to get it out of the way and move it back 50 meters or something. I think it may be time to do that.

"Monaco is generally a dangerous track. It's because you have a very high speed and you jump. As you start braking you jump in the braking zone, and that's a bit of a concern obviously."

When asked about Perez's crash specifically Rosberg said: "I didn't see it and I think it's better if I don't see it.

"I also want to send my best wishes to Sergio and we are all pleased to hear that he is ok after such a big accident."

Jenson Button agreed with Rosberg, but pointed out that the barrier had already been moved back once since he had an accident there in 2003.

"I think the cars have improved dramatically with safety since Karl Wendlinger's accident and the barrier has been moved back since my accident," Button said. "But there are some areas - and this is the main one - where we want it to be safer so that we can come here and enjoy the racing. It is a tricky corner and it's difficult to know what it [the solution] is - but I think we need to look further on what we can do with the run-off there."

Mark Webber was another driver to lend his weight to the argument, saying that the bumps in the braking zone needed to be addressed.

"It has always been bumpy there under the brakes and every year the cars we have are a bit different aerodynamically," Webber said. "And in terms of safety, it's probably an area we need to look at and improve on, especially after JB [Button] and also Karl Wendlinger [crashed] in the mid 1990s. There is a bump there, but it is just that if you have a problem with the rear, the chance to recover is very low."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close