• Monaco Grand Prix - Qualifying

Perez hospitalised after serious crash

ESPNF1 Staff
May 29, 2011 « Heidfeld looking for better luck | »
Medics and marshals surround the wreckage © Sutton Images
Enlarge

Sergio Perez will not race in the Monaco Grand Prix after being kept in the Hospital Princesse Grace overnight following a big accident during qualifying.

A press release from his Sauber team two hours after the crash confirmed he had no major injuries: "The medical staff informed the Sauber F1 Team that he escaped the shunt with concussion and a bruised thigh. Pérez will remain in hospital at least overnight and will definitely not start the race on Sunday."

On Sunday morning a follow-up statement said he had had a comfortable night and after undergoing further tests he would be kept in hospital for another night: "The medical staff want to keep him in hospital for another night under observation and to carry out another scan on Monday."

Perez was on a flying lap in the final part of qualifying when he ran a touch wide exiting the tunnel and lost the rear of the car under braking for the Nouvelle Chicane. Similar to Nico Rosberg earlier in the day he hit the barrier on the right and was just a passenger as the car continued down the hill. Unfortunately for Perez the car turned 90 degrees and ploughed side-on in to the barrier at the bottom, as he instinctively lifted his hands to his head before impact.

The team added: "The reason for the accident will be investigated and the team will update the media as soon as it has any further information."

Sergio Perez's car is lifted away © Sutton Images
Enlarge

Peter Sauber, said: "Of course we are very relieved that Sergio wasn't seriously injured. Up to the accident he was doing very well in qualifying, and also better than expected as he had outperformed all his direct competitors. For Kamui it didn't go too well in qualifying, but we know what his skills are and expect them to play a role in tomorrow's race."

The session was red flagged with 2m26s left on the clock as medical teams attended to Perez in the car, with a delay of about ten minutes until he was finally removed. He was conscious and responding to questions in the car and was then taken to hospital by ambulance. X-rays showed that Perez had suffered no broken bones, but that he had concussion. His condition was described as "stable" and "encouraging".

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 3 
ESPN Staff Close