• McLaren news

Monaco is 'unfinished business' for Button

ESPN Staff
May 21, 2012 « Grosjean still not satisfied | Pirelli confirms upcoming race tyres »
Jenson Button had to settle for third place behind Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso in 2011 © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Related Links

Jenson Button says he has "a little bit of unfinished business" at Monaco following last year's grand prix.

In what was set to be a classic race, Button had led but a three-stop strategy dropped him behind Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso on track. While the leading two had only stopped once, the rapidly-degrading Pirelli tyres had set up a classic finale as the trio ran nose to tail with 18 laps remaining. Unfortunately a late red flag allowed all three to change tyres without penalty and resulted in a procession to the finish, robbing Button the chance of victory.

Ahead of returning to Monaco this weekend, Button admitted that the 2011 race would act as motivation for him.

"I remember last year having a fantastic car beneath me and feeling really confident that I could challenge for the win," Button said. "As it happened, circumstances beyond our control worked to pull that opportunity away from us, but I go back to Monte-Carlo with a little bit of unfinished business. I'd love to win for Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, the team has a great history around Monaco and I'd love to add my name to McLaren's Monaco winners' list."

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh said that McLaren would be looking to bounce back after a number of errors so far this season.

"For the entire Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team, too, we travel to the south of France feeling determined to string together a faultless weekend and to demonstrate our full potential," he said. "I have absolutely no doubts that the team is feeling very strong, and a win at Monaco would be the perfect fillip for their efforts."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 8 
ESPN Staff Close