• Korean Grand Prix

Korea vows to solve problems for 2011

ESPNF1 Staff
October 25, 2010 « Lotus set to stay in Norfolk | »
KAVO will work hard to put on a better show next year © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Related Links

Organisers of Sunday's inaugural Korean Grand Prix have vowed to put on a better show in 2011.

"There are a lot of things to work on," admitted Chung Yung-cho, chief executive of the promoter KAVO.

Following the horror stories in the media of the past weeks and months, the F1 paddock in general was surprisingly impressed with the facilities, layout and welcome at Yeongam. But a lack of affordable accommodation for mechanics and reporters meant many of them stayed in what became known as 'love hotels', while those at the circuit grappled with internet and utility connection problems.

The circuit itself was tinkered with by FIA officials throughout the weekend, local roads struggled to cope with lines of cars whose occupants missed the start of Sunday's race and then parked in sodden carparks, and some ticket holders were directed to other vantage-points when their grandstands proved unready.

"We'll do our best to correct these flaws and be perfectly ready for next year," Chung is quoted by the Yonhap news agency.

FIA president Jean Todt, who attended the event, told the JoongAng Daily: "It is easy to be very critical in this situation. I think that the essentials are an admiration for all the work which has been done. I feel that problems will definitely be solved in the future."

The organisers are also keen to have some home-bred representation on the Formula One grid in the future.

"This is something we really must have; a [Korean] team and a driver in formula one," Chung Yung-cho told Reuters.

He said there is already work going on "behind the scenes", and said KAVO - a joint private venture involving the Jeollanam-do regional government - is ready to help.

"Let's not be afraid that we might fall short," he said. "If anyone finds they are just short of what they need, we'll help.

An industry official last week said Seoul-based Hyundai - the world's fifth largest carmaker - is "simply not interested in Formula One", while the electronics giant LG is already involved as a sponsor.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close