• Korean Grand Prix

Korean race in 2014 '50:50' - promoter

ESPN Staff
October 3, 2013 « Marussia retains Bianchi for 2014 | Hulkenberg decision due in next few weeks »
Formula One might not return to Korea in 2014 as the promoter wants to improve the current contract © Sutton Images
Enlarge

Korean Grand Prix promoter Won-Hwa Park has rated the chances of the race staying on the 2014 calendar as "50:50".

The 2014 calendar which was confirmed by the FIA's World Motor Sport Council last week included a provisional slot for Korea as part of a double header with the Chinese Grand Prix in April. The race's future is uncertain due to contractual issues and Park said it would only retain its place if it is able to negotiate a lower sanctioning fee.

"We want to improve the current contract with Formula One Management in London," Park told Sky Sports News. "We are still negotiating with Mr Ecclestone; we wish to have a satisfactory conclusion with Mr Ecclestone.

"I would say it's 50:50, but we are very much firm in continuing to hold this event."

Park said he would even consider turning the race in to a night race if required, with the track not affected by noise restrictions.

"It's a great idea; we'd be glad to consider holding a night race, certainly with better conditions from Mr Ecclestone. Luckily this circuit is far from downtown so we do not have any noise problems."

And Park was keen to stress the importance of the race for the country's image.

"It's a very good showcase to outside people that Korea is not only a country in confrontation mode between South and North Korea; we also have this kind of beautiful event."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close