• Force India news

Force India won't stand in di Resta's way

ESPN Staff
June 26, 2013 « Brawn calls for testing clampdown | Horner criticises Mercedes punishment »
Paul di Resta has impressed this season with points in six of the seven races so far © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Related Links

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley says the team will not stand in Paul di Resta's way should he wish to leave.

Di Resta was linked to the vacant seat at McLaren towards the end of last year but eventually lost out to Sergio Perez. However he has bounced back strongly this season by scoring 34 points in the opening seven races - including a fourth place in Bahrain - and Fernley told Press Association Sport that if di Resta's form earned him an offer from another team he would not be forced to stay.

"Paul is contracted to us anyway for next season, so the question is whether somebody else comes in, so it won't be our decision," Fernley said. "Whether Paul has to be released, or whatever, that can only come from him. But we wouldn't stand in his way. That's not our policy. If a driver feels he is better somewhere else, what would be the point in keeping him?"

Fernley pointed to Nico Hulkenberg's move from Force India to Sauber last year as proof the team will allow drivers to choose their own futures.

"We proved that at the end of last year with Nico Hulkenberg. Did we want to lose Nico? Not at all. He was a great member of our team, but we didn't get in the way of that particular move. We then proved by bringing in Adrian (Sutil) we are capable of recovering from such a situation and carrying on as normal. Maybe Nico is asking a few questions himself today, although last year it didn't look such a bad option."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close