• FIA news

Ecclestone would welcome Mosley back

ESPNF1 Staff
October 24, 2011 « New Jersey announces 10-year deal from 2013 | Force India targets home points »
Max Mosley was FIA president for 16 years © Sutton Images
Enlarge
Related Links

Bernie Ecclestone says he would welcome the return of Max Mosley as FIA president in the future, calling his decision not to stand by him in 2008 as "one of the worst things I've done in my life".

Mosley lost his position in 2009 after a News of the World sex scandal, with Ecclestone at the time calling for Mosley to step down having previously worked closely alongside him. With Jean Todt having since taken over as president, Ecclestone told Auto Motor und Sport that he would welcome Mosley back because his misdemeanours were "nothing to do with Formula One".

"One of the worst things I've done in my life - and for which I am ashamed - is to not defend Max Mosley when he had his big problems," Ecclestone said. "There's no excuse. I made the mistake because so many people - executives and decision-makers from big companies and banks - convinced me that Max must go in the circumstances. But I was influenced very strongly and badly not to support him."

Despite his apparent preference to see Mosley return, Ecclestone insists he has no problem with Todt.

"I have apologised personally to Max and also publicly before the FIA World Council ... I have nothing against the present incumbent, Jean Todt, but I would welcome Max's return."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 2 

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close