• Bahrain Grand Prix

Teams meet to discuss Bahrain decision

ESPNF1 Staff
June 4, 2011 « Mosley warns Bahrain decision could haunt F1 | »

Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA might be faced with a rebellion by several Formula One teams in the aftermath of the decision to rearrange the Bahrain Grand Prix for the end of October.

An official statement last night from the Formula One Teams Association (FOTA), said that "a detailed joint position" would follow talks which are due to take place when the F1 roadshow reaches Canada next week.

One source was quote by the Times as saying: "The teams have repeatedly told Ecclestone they do not want to go on moral or any other grounds. This has gone down badly and could turn into as big a row as we have ever seen in the sport."

Publicly, no team has offered a view, although Red Bull issued a statement acknowledging the FIA decision, adding: "We will go through the correct channels and discuss this decision within the appropriate forum with the other F1 teams and our fellow FOTA members."

Red Bull has been singled out by protestors, with almost 400,000 signing an online petition started earlier this week aimed at persuading to oppose the race going ahead. "Red Bull will only act if enough of us join together to make clear that its brand, its very reputation, is on the line," the site message said.

It is believed Mercedes and Renault have reservations, but others could follow if it becomes clear their sponsors are attracting negative publicity as a result.

Caught in the crossfire is McLaren in which Mumtalakat Holding, the Bahrain royal family's investment group, has a substantial holding. However, its other sponsors such as Vodafone, are likely to come under pressure in the coming weeks, as are drivers Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 7 
ESPN Staff Close