• Ferrari news

Massa signs new Ferrari deal for 2013

ESPN Staff
October 16, 2012 « Ecclestone doubts London GP support | Domenicali confident Massa will repay trust »
Felipe Massa's recent form has seen him retained for 2013 © Sutton Images
Enlarge

Felipe Massa has signed a new one-year contract to remain with Ferrari until the end of the 2013 season.

The announcement comes after a meeting with Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo at Maranello today, with Massa agreeing a new deal to stay with the team for an eighth consecutive season. Massa's future at Ferrari was uncertain after a dismal start to the year, but a recent upturn in results - including second place in the Japanese Grand Prix - has convinced the team to retain him.

Massa has won 11 races with Ferrari so far, with the last of those coming at the Brazilian Grand Prix in 2008 when he so nearly won the championship. A serious accident in 2009 at the Hungaroring ruled him out for the remainder of the season, but he returned in 2010 to partner the incoming Fernando Alonso.

Since Alonso's arrival, Massa has scored just six podiums in 54 races, but the team has been sufficiently impressed with his performance in the latter half of this season to award him a new one-year deal, and he said he was "delighted" to remain with the team.

"I am delighted with this agreement," Massa said. "Ferrari is my sports family and I have always raced in Formula One driving engines built at Maranello: I can't see myself behind the wheel of a car driven by any other units! First I want to thank the President Montezemolo and Stefano Domenicali, who gave me confidence and I have always maintained belief, even in the most difficult moments. Both the team and the fans can be assured that I will do all that is in my power to help the Scuderia to achieve the goals that arise every year."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 33 
ESPN Staff Close