• Ferrari news

Ferrari won't rush second driver choice

ESPN Staff
July 11, 2013 « Force India is 'a loser' - Fernley | Ecclestone unable to bail out Sauber »
Felipe Massa's error saw him retire from sixth place in the German Grand Prix © Associated Press
Enlarge
Related Links

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo says Ferrari is in no rush to decide on a partner for Fernando Alonso next season.

Having signed a one-year contract towards the end of last year, Felipe Massa's seat is far from secure following errors at each of the last four grands prix. The latest mistake saw Massa spin at the end of the pit straight at the Nurburgring and retire from sixth place early in the race, costing Ferrari potentially crucial constructors' championship points.

While Montezemolo was keen to stress Massa has Ferrari's full support for the remainder of the season, he was not willing to give any assurances beyond that point.

"Felipe is fully aware he can count on our total confidence in him," Montezemolo told the official Ferrari website. "I hope he will soon secure the results that will show his talent to the full, such as the great starts he pulled off at the last two Grands Prix. The future? We will talk about that further down the line as there's no hurry."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close