• Grand Prix of America

New Jersey postponed until 2014

ESPN Staff
October 19, 2012 « Bachetta completes Williams test | Perez expecting 'quicker' Sauber in India »
Construction work has been ongoing on the pit and paddock building, but road repairs are behind schedule © Sutton Images
Enlarge

The organisers of the Grand Prix of America in New Jersey have confirmed that the inaugural race has been postponed until 2014.

Race promoter Leo Hindery Jr confirmed that more time is needed to prepare for the race, and as a result the 2013 race has been postponed. However, despite the delay, Hindery Jr was keen to stress that the race would still go ahead in the future and that the organisers retained the full support of Bernie Ecclestone.

"We are going to be racing at Port Imperial, unfortunately just not as soon as we hoped and expected," Hindery Jr said. "We promised Governor Christie, the Towns, the sport and its international fans the best possible experience, and unfortunately we need additional time to ensure that happens.

"We remain 100% committed to the Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial and the race could have no better partner and friend than the CEO of Formula One, Bernie Ecclestone. We benefit greatly from his experience and counsel and from his support."

Ecclestone himself said he was keen to ensure that the race still takes place a year later than originally planned.

"I remain totally committed to the Port Imperial race and its unique location and attributes, and we will continue to work closely together to realise our dream in 2014," Ecclestone said. "As Leo says, we are still going to be racing at Port Imperial, now however in 2014."

Earlier on Friday, Ecclestone had confirmed the news, saying it hadn't taken the organisers too long to realise what needed to be done in order to get the race on next season.

"They've run out of time," Ecclestone is quoted by Reuters. "There's all sorts of things...and they didn't quite think it all through. They've had a wake-up call but the wake-up call came too late.

"They couldn't get everything ready in time. That's the bottom line."

Ecclestone had previously voiced his doubts that the street circuit would be ready in time, with the race having been handed a provisional date of June 16 on the 2013 calendar issued by the World Motor Sport Council.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 6 

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close