• Spanish Grand Prix

Barcelona could consider future

ESPNF1 Staff
January 10, 2012 « Coloni confirms Coletti and Onidi | 2012 Caterham 'a bigger step' »
Barcelona has hosted the Spanish Grand Prix since 1991 © Getty Images
Enlarge

Barcelona's Spanish Grand Prix has become the latest race to have doubts cast over it after government officials said it may have to consider its future.

Earlier in January officials in Valencia admitted that its "big events are under full and absolute review". Now Andreu Mas-Colell, Catalunya's minister for economy said that the situation in Barcelona is "the same as in Valencia" and that the major events held at the Circuit de Catalunya could be reviewed.

"We could reconsider the hosting of Formula 1 or motorcycle grands prix (MotoGP)," Mas-Colell told RAC1. "It is not clear to us that we can afford them in the current situation. It is not the first thing we will reconsider, but in times like these we must look very closely at where we spend the money.

"We have spent a lot on F1 and at the moment it's unclear what we can afford ... There are contracts that are more expensive to maintain than to break."

The current contract keeping the Spanish Grand Prix at Barcelona runs until 2016.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 4 
ESPN Staff Close