• US Grand Prix

US Grand Prix remains on FIA's 2012 calendar

ESPNF1 Staff
December 7, 2011 « Webber not ready to retire after 2012 | FIA lists 2012 regulation tweaks »
An artists impression of the Austin circuit © Sutton Images
Enlarge

The 2012 US Grand Prix appears to be back on after the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) released an unchanged calendar for next year, including the race in Austin.

Serious doubts were cast over the event when it emerged last month that the Circuit of the Americas no longer had a valid contract with Formula One's commercial rights holders. Last week F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone gave the organisers until December 7 to sign a new contract so that the WMSC could finalise its calendar during a meeting in Delhi. The news was later confirmed in a statement from the circuit.

The Bahrain and Korean Grands Prix also appeared on the WMSC's calendar, despite continuing doubts over those races. The 2011 Bahrain Grand Prix was cancelled after political unrest in the country and there have been doubts over the 2012 race too, with a bomb exploding outside the British embassy as recently as last Sunday. A recent report condemned the way authorities cracked down on pro-democracy protestors earlier this year, but in November Ecclestone said: "I've no doubt in my mind we'll be there."

Concerns over Korea's future were based on funding after the promoters said the future of the race would hinge on negotiating better terms with Ecclestone. There has been no news suggesting a new deal has been struck, yet the race remains on the WMSC's calendar.

View the full 2012 calendar here.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 1 
ESPN Staff Close