• News

Stefan GP continues push towards F1 grid

ESPNF1 Staff
December 22, 2009 « Ecclestone has doubts over US F1 and Campos | »
Stefan GP intend to test a car in 2010 © Sutton Images
Enlarge

Serbian-based Formula One team Stefan GP is hoping to test a car in 2010, even though it has not been granted entry to next year's championship by the FIA.

It originally applied to race when the FIA opened the sport to low-budget teams earlier this year. Since then, owner Zoran Stefanovic has maintained an interest in bringing it to F1, and has continued to prepare it as if it will compete next year.

"Plan A is going into F1 in 2010, but Plan B is going into F1 in 2011 but next year going testing with the car and several drivers," he told Autosport.com. "We have the drivers already, but we are not going to announce this. If we are not in F1 next year competing, then we will go testing through the year, and testing a lot."

"We have the full necessary backing in money terms for whatever we are doing," he added. "At the moment there is no question about this. The only question mark is about the entry, and we will not go into details until there is an official announcement."

Stefanovic also told the website that he has been in talks with ex-F1 team Toyota about taking over the development of its 2010 car, which the Japanese manufacturer started work on before it withdrew in November.

To add to the speculation, in a recent interview with The Times, Bernie Ecclestone said he expects two of the new entrants for 2010 - US F1 and Campos - will not make the grid. However, he also said that he thinks 24 cars will compete at the season opener in Bahrain, indicating that another team could still step in.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close