• Circuit news

Donington's future bleak as buyers sought

ESPNF1 Staff
December 10, 2009 « Lotus boss believes F1 will survive manufacturer exodus | »
Bernie Ecclestone: F1 supremo © Sutton Images
Enlarge

The future of Donington Park remains uncertain although administrators for the circuit have said they are hopeful a buyer will be in place by the end of the month.

Ambitious plans to stage the British Grand Prix floundered after a scheme to raise as much as £135 million collapsed, and lingering hopes of a last-minute rescue package disappeared earlier this week when Silverstone was awarded a 17-year deal to stage the event.

The track is in a state of disrepair after work had to be stopped when the cash ran out, and the end came when Donington Ventures Leisure Limited went into administration last month. "There is a break clause on either side of 10 years, so that closes the door on Formula One at Donington in that time scale," Nigel Price, one of the administrators searching for a buyer, told the Derby Telegraph. "We are still in negotiations with three parties with a view to Donington continuing to operate as a national and club circuit. We are hopeful a deal can be done by the end of this week."

It is estimated that it will cost as much as £1 million to make the circuit raceable. Although World and British Superbike events are scheduled to be held at Donington in 2010, time is already tight if the necessary remedial work is to be completed for the new season.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close