• Chinese Grand Prix

Major repairs to start at Shanghai

ESPNF1 Staff
January 24, 2011 « Force India set to name di Resta | »
The Chinese Grand Prix is not under any serious threat © Sutton Images
Enlarge

Major repairs are set to start at the Shanghai International Circuit after subsidence was found at three of its turns, local officials have admitted.

Although there is no suggestion at this stage the Chinese Grand Prix on April 17 is under threat, the FIA's own website has had a precautionary "subject to the homologation of the circuit" note against the race weekend since the calendar was first published.

Work is expected to be finished by the end of March and the circuit will be examined by officials of the FIA before the race, Yang Yibin, manager of the organisers, told the Shanghai Daily. "There should be no problem. We've communicated well with the FIA, our plan has been approved and the grand prix will be on time."

Subsidence was found to be serious at turns one, eight and 14 last year, causing serious jolting when cars were passing through the corners. "Subsidence is normal because of the soft soil in Shanghai, which the circuit was built above," Yang told the newspaper. "Plus the circuit has hosted seven F1 grands prix and other racing events of high intensity."

Sun Liang, manager the circuit's engineering section, told the Oriental Morning Post the problem was not a difficult one. "What we do is repave the asphalt on the three corners and we don't have to repave the whole circuit at all."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 1 

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close