• Korean Grand Prix

Dismissed Korean GP boss hits back

ESPNF1 Staff
January 17, 2011 « Prodrive not thinking about F1 until 2013 | »
Yung Cho Chung oversaw the organistaion and running of the inaugural Korean Grand Prix © Sutton Images
Enlarge

Korean Grand Prix chief Yung Cho Chung is preparing to challenge the decision to dismiss him from his post.

Barely a month after collecting the FIA prize for the best promoter of 2010, Chung was accused of lax management during a board meeting of organisers Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAVO) last week.

South Korea's race contract extends for at least six more years and it was believed that Chung and F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone had a strong relationship. A source close to Chung told the Korea Herald that he is now preparing to sue KAVO.

"He said he couldn't accept the decision because there was something wrong in the procedure," KAVO spokesman Jung Ji-hyun confirmed. "He is now in discussion with his advisers as how to file a lawsuit."

The delay in construction of the Yeongam circuit aside, Chung was accused of mishandling expenditures and going over budget.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close