• News

Prodrive not thinking about F1 until 2013

ESPNF1 Staff
January 17, 2011 « Group Lotus expects speedy end to naming dispute | »
David Richards says he keeps a close eye on the world of F1 © Getty Images
Enlarge

Prodrive boss David Richards has no interest in entering F1 until 2013 at the earliest.

Prodrive wanted to step up to F1 in 2008, but backed down when existing F1 teams challenged its plans to use a customer McLaren chassis. Last year Richards, the former Benetton and BAR boss, ruled out an F1 entry in 2011 when US F1's grid spot came up for tender, saying his company needed to focus on Aston Martin's Le Mans entry.

He has now said no to F1 in 2012 as well, as Prodrive focuses on a return to the World Rally Championship with Mini.

"We always keep a close eye on everything, but my priority today is to get the Mini up and running and to get Aston Martin competitive in time for Le Mans," he said. "The obvious next point to look at Formula One is 2013 with the massive change in regulations that come along at that point in time, and if you were to consider an entry that would be the time to go."

In 2013 F1 will switch to four-cylinder turbocharged engines and there are plans for a major overhaul of the chassis regulations.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Comments: 1 

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close