• Driver news

Citroen happy to wait for Raikkonen decision

ESPNF1 Staff
October 4, 2010 « Heidfeld confident he will stay in F1 next year | »

Citroen is happy to wait for Kimi Raikkonen to make up his mind over whether he will continue in the World Rally Championship or return to Formula One.

Raikkonen has spent the last year at the Citroen Junior Team after leaving F1 at the end of 2009 when Fernando Alonso replaced him at Ferrari. In recent months he has been linked to a return with Renault but the stage of the negotiations is not clear.

However, team manager at the Citroen Junior Team, Benoit Nogier, said Raikkonen would not have to make his mind up any time soon.

"At the moment there is no commitment from Kimi for next year," he told French radio RMC. "Up to now he has showed appreciation for what he is doing and the desire to continue. He is the master of his destiny so it's up to him to tell us if he wants to be with us next year or not. I will be very happy to welcome him if he wants to continue.

"We're not talking about a deadline because it's too early. As the days go by you eventually reach the time to make a decision."

Last week Renault boss Eric Boullier said he was keen to make a decision about his second driver soon but still needed to have talks with Raikkonen face-to-face.

"It is definitely getting closer to when we will make a decision," he told Autosport. "But we really want to consider all of the options. I decided to tell some drivers that we will not carry on discussions with them, so we know wait and see - but Kimi remains one of our scenarios. I have said many times that I want to meet with him first before we do anything more. I want to understand more about his wish to come back."

Raikkonen was in action again in the WRC last weekend, but notched up his third retirement of the season after running as high as seventh. He is currently 145 points adrift of his team-mate Sebastien Ogier in the championship.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close