• News

F1 viewing figures dropped by 50 million in 2013

ESPN Staff
February 3, 2014 « Ferrari ready to 'exploit' potential of F14 T | Sauber plays down lack of pace »
© Getty Images
Enlarge

Formula One's viewing figures dropped by roughly 10% last year after a predictable end to the 2013 season.

Sebastian Vettel won nine races in a row at the end of the year, securing his fourth consecutive title with three races remaining. TV figures released in Formula One's Global Media Report showed overall viewers had dropped by over 50 million last year to a total of 450 million.

"The less-than-competitive nature of the final few rounds, culminating in the championship being decided ahead of the races in the USA and Brazil, events which often bring substantial audiences, had a predictable impact on reach," Bernie Ecclestone said. "The overall effect was exaggerated further still when you consider the calendar was one race shorter in 2013."

Despite describing the new V6 turbo era as a "farce" after the first week of testing in Jerez, Ecclestone said he expected the new regulations to bolster figures this year.

"One thing I am sure of is that this coming season will not only offer a heightened level of unpredictability, but renewed excitement and fierce competition," he added.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close