Symonds poised for F1 comeback

ESPNF1 Staff
April 14, 2010

F1's other banned Crashgate conspirator, Pat Symonds, could soon resume a role in the sport.

The scandal was finally put to rest earlier this week when the FIA announced it had decided to drop a legal challenge to a Paris court's decision to overturn penalties imposed on Symonds and Flavio Briatore.

It is already rumoured that ousted Renault boss Flavio Briatore could be back in the paddock with a role alongside Bernie Ecclestone in 2013. But Symonds, the engineering veteran who previously admitted scheming with Nelson Piquet to deliberately crash his Renault during the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, could be back in F1 almost immediately.

The FIA said on Monday that the pair had "undertaken to abstain from having any operational role" until 2013. But Symonds, 56, has clarified in a statement that his own company Neutrino Dynamics could be engaged for F1 consultancy work immediately.

As distinct from the FIA's statement, Symonds said he has promised not to take on "a direct operational role" in F1 until 2013. "This agreement does not prevent him acting as a consultant to any team during this period and he will continue to contribute to the sport in this, and other, ways," the statement added.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close