• Force India

Perez confirmed at Force India

ESPN Staff
December 12, 2013 « FIA in search for new team for 2015 or 2016 | Winning 'has to be the target' - Perez »

Force India has announced that Sergio Perez will join Nico Hulkenberg at the team for the 2014 season.

Perez was without a drive after being replaced at McLaren by rookie Kevin Magnussen following a disappointing debut year with the team. However, after re-signing Hulkenberg from Sauber, Force India has opted to replace both Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta by bringing in Perez as well. The announcement was made by Vijay Mallya during a press conference at the Mexican Ambassador's residence in London.

"It's great to announce my new team as Sahara Force India," Perez said. "Coming here was always my first choice and I'm really happy everything has now been confirmed. I want to say thank you to Vijay and the whole team for giving me the opportunity. This is a young team with a lot of determination and they've produced competitive cars for the last few years. It's all change for next season with the new regulations, but I already have a good feeling about 2014. My plan now is to visit the factory and get to know everyone in the team."

Team principal Mallya said he was excited by the pairing of Perez and Hulkenberg.

"It's a pleasure to welcome Sergio to the team," he said, "He brings a healthy mix of youth and experience, and I've been very impressed with his recent performances. He already has several podium finishes to his name and being chosen by McLaren last year was a clear indication that he is a driver to watch for the future. We also recognise Sergio's incredible talent and we are proud to have him in our team.

"He clearly has great speed and plenty of fire in his belly. Our job is to make sure he settles in quickly by creating the right atmosphere so that he can realise his potential. By pairing Sergio alongside Nico, we enter the new season with an extremely competitive line-up, which will go toward helping us achieve our goals for the new season."

Sutil has been heavily linked with a move to Sauber next season, while di Resta admits his future in Formula One is uncertain.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close