- Force India
Mallya won't bring driver decision forwardChris Medland November 20, 2013 « Di Resta ponders move to USA | Beating one Red Bull impressive - Grosjean »
Vijay Mallya says he will not make a decision on his 2014 drivers until late in December despite a number of options currently being available.
Force India has traditionally announced its line-up late in the year, with Paul di Resta being confirmed for another season in December last year and the return of Adrian Sutil only announced during pre-season testing. With the likes of Nico Hulkenberg, Pastor Maldonado and Sergio Perez available but Lotus and Sauber also yet to finalise line-ups, Mallya has a lot of options for next season, but speaking to ESPN exclusively he said he would not bring his decision forward.
"Everybody knows I make the decision at the last minute - well not the last minute - I make the decision after the Force India Christmas party which means in December," Mallya said. "I see no reason to change it. Yes, I have received approaches from other drivers but they all know that decision time will be in December.
"I would like to think and believe that the Force India race seat is a very desirable seat, it's not just a seat for the sake of having a seat. So I am not surprised that people have come to me."
With Hulkenberg linked with a return, asked if he had anything signed with any driver for next season Mallya replied: "Nothing that I am going to communicate or comment on at this stage."
Sutil was very confident that he would remain at Force India in 2014, and Mallya admitted he is likely to stay.
"Adrian is a good driver. There must be some good enough reason why they brought him back, isn't there? I rate him highly."
Chris Medland is assistant editor at ESPNF1
© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.
Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk