• European Grand Prix

Valencia future not in doubt

ESPNF1 Staff
April 28, 2010 « Renault happy with Petrov's progress | »

The future of the European Grand Prix at Valencia is not in doubt according to Spanish motor racing chief Carlos Gracia.

At the second running of the race around the port city's streets last August, attendance was so low that it was rumoured Valencia might soon drop off the calendar even though there is a contract in place until 2014.

Teams and spectators have bemoaned a lack of atmosphere at the venue, and last year's 57-lap race did not feature a single conventional overtaking manoeuvre.

Within Spain, it has been rumoured that even Valmor have been recently less than enthusiastic about the future of the event. But Gracia, the head of Spain's motor racing federation, said he is hearing a different message from Valmor after a recent meeting.

"Last year they were not positive," he said, "but now they have told me that they are fulfilling religiously all the years they have left on the contract."

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close