• Bahrain Grand Prix

Mosley to blame for F1 situation insists Coulthard

ESPNF1 Staff
March 16, 2010 « 'There is no panic, no crisis' - Ecclestone | »
Karun Chandhok's first grand prix ends on the second lap - David Coulthard said drivers 'should not be going on track for the first time during qualifying sessions' © Sutton Images
Enlarge

David Coulthard has pointed his finger at former FIA president Max Mosley after Sunday's processional start to the 2010 season in Bahrain. While others have attacked the new refuelling ban, Coulthard said he was in do doubt who was to blame.

"I hope Max Mosley, watching from his ivory tower after relinquishing his post as president last autumn, enjoyed the Bahrain grand prix on Sunday," Coulthard wrote in the Daily Telegraph.

"Revs limited to 18,000rpm, the ban on in-race refuelling, standardised gearboxes and engines, a single tyre supplier; all initiatives introduced during his tenure at the FIA, all of which appear to have done little for the show."

Coulthard also revealed he "got in a bit of trouble" last week for siding with Ferrari against F1's struggling new teams, but he remains critical in his latest column.

"The weekend, I felt, was a reality-check for Sir Richard Branson, who following the fanfare of his backing Brawn to championship success last year had to settle for a walk down to the back of the grid to see his two Virgin racers," he said. "Wheels should not be falling off cars during practice that have done minimal running."

Referring to HRT's Karun Chandhok, he said: "Drivers should not be going on track for the first time during qualifying sessions."

"And before people write in to say how great it was that both Lotus drivers finished the race; yes it was but should we not expect an F1 car to be able to complete a race?" said Coulthard. "Surely that is a minimum expectation?"

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

Products you might like at espnshop.co.uk

    ESPN Staff Close