• Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Abu Dhabi confirms circuit changes

ESPNF1 Staff
April 11, 2011 « 'Stray marbles hurt' - di Resta | »
Abu Dhabi drew criticism after a lack of overtaking last year © Sutton Images
Enlarge

Changes to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix circuit have been given the go-ahead, chief executive Richard Cregan has confirmed.

The planned alterations follow criticism that the 2010 finale at Yas Marina Circuit was a processional affair with no clear overtaking opportunities. "Races like Abu Dhabi in 2010, where you cannot overtake, are not acceptable," FIA president Jean Todt said.

The potential layout changes were discussed during meetings at Sepang between Cregan and F1 officials. He confirmed that changes between turns 6 and 9 (the approach to the hairpin at the bottom of the circuit and the long back straight that follows ahead of a left-right chicane) will be made before November's penultimate round of the 2011 championship.

But Cregan insisted that the changes have not been requested due to flaws with the original layout. "We spoke with Charlie Whiting and he spoke with the drivers and they actually had very few issues with the circuit," he said.

Meanwhile, it has been decided that some seating will be demolished at the venue of the Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos to make room for more run-off. The changes are in reaction to the recent death of Brazilian stock car driver Gustavo Sonderman.

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

ESPN Staff Close